Monday, January 7, 2013

The Beginning


Above is a picture of Me (on the left) and my girlfriend (on the right).  Because this is an introduction I felt that I should include someone who is a major part of my life.  Her name is Mercedes Jeter and she is also a student at Wofford.  One of the main reasons I have included her in this blog is because she will be one of the main individuals taste-testing the meals that I will attempt to produce during Interim.  She will be the one telling whether or not the food I create is edible or if it just deserves to be served to the Wofford squirrels. 

Over the course of Interim my main goal is to cook many types of food and hone specific recipes that have been used throughout my family for years.  Because my father is Jamaican and my mother was born in South Carolina, I have been immersed into many different cultural specific recipes, ranging from the infamous jerk chicken with rice and peas, to red rice with fried pork chops and corn on the side.  Below is a meal that has been cooked by mother for years that I attempted to recreate.  It is backed spaghetti with sausage and ground beef and cheddar and mozzarella cheese.  It was scrumptious.  


Because of my diverse backgrounds with various types of meals, I have grown to enjoy many different types of food.  I just have a list of food items that I refuse to eat.  This includes:
  1. Chili 
  2. Beans by themselves - if the beans are incorporated into something else then I may eat them
  3. Brussel Sprouts - disgusting
  4. Hot Dogs - I only will eat hot dogs if I have to.  I prefer to stay away from them. 
  5. Chocolate cake - no idea why.  I think it's just too much chocolate for me
  6. Shell fish - I have an intolerance to this, but I love shrimp.  It makes me sad to know that I can't eat it 

Again, I do have a food intolerance to shell fish.  This has not been clinically tested but I do know that I'm not allergic and know that whenever I do eat shell fish I begin to get quite nauseous and feel horrible afterwards.  Fish does not bother me much though.  I do not know why I am not a fan of the food items listed above.  What I do know is, I will eat each one of the items listed if I have to, but I do not prefer the tastes of these foods.  

Other than the foods listed above, I basically will eat almost anything that someone puts in front of me.  This does not involve but I will try it if I'm in a country or area that considers them a delicacy.  We'll see what type of food I either eat/make this Interim.  I'm sure whatever I cook or eat, it will be fantastic.  

No comments:

Post a Comment